How to Pass the Job Interview Successfully: 19 Excellent Tips
Posted on March 16, 2018 at 03:03 am
Job interview is the last stage in the job seeking process. A person may clear all the exams and tests but fail to get a job if he fares poorly in a job interview. A job interview thus proves to be vital for a job seeker. There are many stages in a job interview and you bag the job only if you clear all these stages successfully. Here are some tips, suggestions and guidelines to help you clear through different levels of the interview process and bag the job of your choice.
What Interviewers Seek in Prospective Candidates?
While the qualities required in different fields and trades vary greatly, there are some common aspects that most interviewers seek in their candidates. Here we have made a list of these major characteristics.
1. Confidence: If you have to work in any respectable organisation and handle a responsible role, you need to be confident. People who lack this major trait fail to make the right decisions and cause huge losses for the organisation. Confidence is often a result of thorough knowledge and organisations do not like to hire people who lack knowledge.
2. Punctuality: Firms look for people who value time. You need to make sure you reach on time for the interview. In case you happen to be late, you need to inform the firm regarding the delay. This shows that you are responsible and time conscious.
3. Maturity: Maturity is not something that can be easily assessed yet all interviewers look for mature candidates. They ask you personal questions or questions regarding career choices. They try to understand your level of maturity while taking important decisions related to your life. Make sure you answer in a fashion that reveals your mature life choices.
4. Hygiene: Hygiene is very important and lack of hygiene can have a very bad impression on the interviewer. Wear properly washed and ironed clothes for the interview. Use a deodorant to cover up for body odour. A mouth freshener will help you hide bad breath. You need to have your hair properly combed, shoes thoroughly polished and face clean shaven before you head for an interview.
Tips to be Ready for the Interview Well in Advance:
You need to be ready for the job interview well in advance.There are several things you need to carry with you when you are heading for a job interview. Here we have listed few of these.
1. Keep The Resume Ready: You may upload copies of the resume on different job sites. Yet, make sure you carry a hard copy of the latest updated resume when you head for an interview. Make sure you have your latest experience updated in the resume. Avoid fancy or creative resumes if you are heading for a technical interview.
2. Carry Spare Photographs: It is always a good habit to carry spare copies of your passport size photographs. In some organisations, you may have to fill joining forms. You may be asked to provide photographs in such cases.
3. Carry Copies Of Certificates: Hard copies of certificates is a must carry for freshers. Even if you are an experienced candidate, it is a good habit to carry copies of your resume.
How to Answer Tough Common Interview Questions:
Before you head for your first job interview, it is a good idea to create a list of the most expected questions. You can prepare for these questions. It will add to your confidence during the interview process.
1. What is your strength?
This is a question commonly asked in most interviews. You need to speak of your best quality or ability. Make sure you select a quality that is useful in the field you have chosen. For instance, if you are appearing for a job in programming, boasting about your creativity is not going to help you. You also need to ensure that you select a strength that does not alter with time.
y did you choose this field?
The interviewers actually wish to hear what qualifies you for the field you have chosen. When they ask you this question, you need to explain to them your special inclination for the field you have selected. You need to enumerate your skills and abilities that make you ideal for the field.
3. What are your skills and hobbies?
Many freshers fail to understand the intent of this question and tend to give answers that are totally irrelevant. The interviewers do not get impressed with singing and dancing as skills and hobbies. You need to speak of hobbies that are relevant to the job. If you are applying for jobs that apply logic, you may reveal your special interest in solving puzzles. Similarly, if you are applying for some creative position like that of a fashion designer, you may speak of your superior fashion sense.
4. Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
Employers seek candidates who have a vision for themselves. In any profession there are many different stages of growth. You need to set the highest achievable position as your goal. You must be able to tell the interviewers that you wish to hold a particular senior position at the end of 5 years.
5. Are you a good leader?
The firms and organisations seek people with good leadership qualities. As you excel in your field, you may ascend the ladder of success. You need to have the ability to lead a team and get work done from other candidates. You need to possess leadership skills for this purpose.
6. What is your salary expectation and why?
It can be easy for an experienced candidate to set a salary expectation based on the last drawn salary. In case of freshers, it can be difficult to choose a salary expectation. You may be asked to justify your expectation. You need to be well prepared to tackle this question wisely.
Once you are prepared for the common questions asked in interviews, the interviews become a cakewalk. Yet there are several other challenges that you need to be prepared for while appearing for interviews. Here are some of the unique styles of interviews that you may have to face during the job seeking process. You need to be mentally prepared for these too.
Tips to Ace any Job Interview Style Easily:
1. Group Interviews: Most job interviews usually have one or two interviewers to deal with one candidate. In such cases, you have all the attention of the interviewers. This is not the case with group job interviews. In group job interviews, you have four or five other candidates competing for the attention of the interviewers. You need to have clear accent and good communication skills to draw the attention of the interviewer. You also need to make sure that you maintain decorum and wait for your chance during group interviews. You need to have proper manners to create a lasting impression in group interviews.
2. Telephonic Job Interviews: These days, big firms also conduct telephonic job interviews when the candidate is staying far away. Voice modulation, accent and language count a lot more if it is a telephonic job interview. Try to avoid fumbling, stammering or any other gesture that reveals your nervousness on phone.
3. Skype Interviews: You may also have video calling interviews on Skype or Google Hangouts. You must make sure the Internet connection is proper for video interviews. It would be wise to test your device one day before the interview.
Preparing well in advance for all styles of interviews makes you a confident candidate. You also need to be careful while selecting your attire and accessories for job interviews. Here are some suggestions to assist you.
4. Perfect Formal Attire: If you are appearing for a job interview, make sure you wear a perfect formal attire. Men may choose formal shirts and pants. You may choose to wear a tie for the interview. You need to avoid dark coloured or gaudy shirts for job interviews. Wear formal shoes to go with the attire.
Women may wear formal trousers or skirts for interviews. These are the most acceptable formal attires for women.
5. Desirable Accessories: It is good to have matching cuff links to go with your formal wear. Wear a watch on your wrist as it gives an impression that you are time conscious. Carry a pen in your pocket when you head for an interview.
6. The Right Hairdo: Men need to make sure their hair is perfectly trimmed. Women may have their hair tied in a bun. Women who have short hair may also leave their hair open during interviews. In creative jobs, you can be a little casual about your attire and hairdo. Creative jobs accept long hairstyles for men as well.
Once you make sure all these factors are taken care of, you are ready for a job interview. As a final step of preparation, you may research about the company you are joining. You can read through the firm’s website. It will help you understand the work culture in the firm. It will also help you understand what the firm expects from its employees.